Our network of skilled volunteers respond to thousands of requests each year to design and make customised equipment, completely free of charge.
Our Engineer/Maker Volunteers are at the heart of our local branch activities. They use their practical skills and ingenuity to help people with disabilities live fuller and more independent lives.
What the role involves
This role may vary depending on local needs, but is likely to include:
- Designing and making pieces of equipment for individuals with specific needs
- Using practical skills working with one or more of: Metal, wood, plastic, or electronics
- Attending a monthly meeting at the local branch.
We can support you in developing the skills you need for this role, including an induction into all the areas outlined. You will have a chance to discuss your role and any additional needs with us.
What you need for this role
- Practical experience in working with one of the above materials
- Able to listen well, to understand someone’s needs.
- Able to follow REMAP policies and procedures
- Able to understand and apply our risk management system
- Able to apply disability, equality and inclusion practices
- Able to keep people’s personal details safe
- Your own tools and workshop (or access to these)
- Able to drive or have good transport links
- Committed to our values
- Enjoy working as part of a team
- Willing to develop skills and experience
To volunteer in this role, you will need to:
- Undertake a DBS check
Additional information about our Volunteering programme:
When you volunteer with us, you will join a community of committed people with a passion for helping to improve the lives of others.
Out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed.